We at Valor Home Services have been installing, repairing, and refinishing hardwood floors in Belleville, Shiloh and surrounding areas for a quarter of a century. And while a lot of the technology and trends are constantly changing, there are some things that never go out of style—for example, the best maintenance you can perform to not just clean your hardwood floors but also prevent damaging them.
A nice, new finish will make your wood floor look great and last a long time with the right care, even in high-traffic areas. Here’s how to do it.
Daily care for hardwood flooring
- Clean spills immediately, dabbing the moisture first and then gently cleaning with hardwood floor cleaner and microfiber cloth
- Use a microfiber dust mop or vacuum (without beaters) to clean loose soil (which, if left, can promote scratches)
- Choose a mop with a washable head so you can keep it clean before using on your floor
Monthly care for hardwood flooring
- When vacuuming or sweeping, remove area rugs to get under those, also
- Use a hardwood-specific cleaning product to avoid damaging the sealant, and lightly spray it onto the floor in small sections to clean with a microfiber mop
- Allow the floor to dry before walking on it to prevent spotting
- Buff the totally dry floor one more time with a dry microfiber mop to increase shine
Preventing damage is just as easy with these tips:
- Use doormats at all outside entrances and clean those mats frequently
- Never use pot holders or chairs with rollers on hardwood floors
- Use protective pads on the bottom of all furniture set on hardwood
- Never drag heavy objects across the wood floor
- Keep your pets’ nails trimmed and filed smooth
Questions? Need more tips? Start a conversation with us today!